- Johnson Elementary School
JPS Presents Proposal for School Construction, Relocation, Reconfiguration, and Consolidation for 2023-2024 School Year
April 21, 2023
On April 18, 2023, Superintendent Dr. Errick L. Greene presented a proposal to the Board of Trustees for school construction and proposed relocations and consolidations for the 2023-2024 school year. As part of the federal Elementary & Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER), Jackson Public Schools has received funding to address the lingering impacts of COVID-19 on education. A substantial portion of these funds will be used to remediate school buildings, including installing new HVAC systems, restroom renovations, and outdoor learning spaces. These funds are time-sensitive and must be expended by 2024.
Summary of Proposed School Moves
- Brinkley Middle School will consolidate with Lanier High School, and Lanier will be reconfigured to serve grades 7-12 to strengthen its enrollment.
- Powell Middle School will shift to Brinkley Middle School while facility challenges are addressed; Brinkley’s 6th-grade cohort will shift to Powell Middle School.
- Pecan Park Elementary School’s kindergarten through 2nd graders will shift to Lake Elementary and 3rd through 5th graders will shift to Johnson Elementary while facility challenges are addressed.
- Baker Elementary will consolidate and shift full enrollment to Shirley Elementary.
- Jim Hill High School will utilize its 9th Grade Academy building and Isable Elementary while facility challenges are addressed.
- To accommodate Jim Hill High School, Isable Elementary School’s pre-kindergarten through 2nd graders will shift to Lester Elementary and 3rd through 5th graders will shift to Marshall Elementary.
Transportation will continue to be provided for students; new routes are under development. Students will continue to be provided special education support according to their Individualized Education Plans (IEPs). English Learners will receive support through the general education program at the consolidated school (Baker to Shirley Elementary). Middle and high school scholars will occupy separate wings of the building and utilize distinct entrances/exits. The middle school (grades 7 and 8) and high school (grades 9 through 12) will maintain separate schedules in order to facilitate district-wide common planning (Lanier reconfiguration with Brinkley consolidation).
All certified team members desiring to remain employed with Jackson Public Schools are being offered alternative placement. All classified staff will be placed in comparable roles at new schools.
The following meetings have been scheduled to discuss the proposed changes with the parents and staff of the impacted schools below:
Baker Elementary – Monday, April 24 @ 5:30 p.m. (300 E. Santa Clair Street, Jackson, MS 39212)
Pecan Park Elementary – Tuesday, April 25 @ 5:30 p.m. (415 Claiborne Avenue, Jackson, MS 39209)
Isable Elementary – Wednesday, April 26 @ 5:30 p.m. (1716 Isable Street, Jackson, MS 39204)
Jim Hill High – Thursday, April 27 @ 5:30 p.m. (2185 Coach Fred Harris Street, Jackson MS 39204)
Lanier High/Brinkley Middle – Monday, May 1 @ 5:30 p.m. (833 Maple Street, Jackson, MS 39203)
Powell Middle School - Thursday, May 4 @ 5:30 p.m. (3655 Livingston Road, Jackson, MS 39213)
This proposal HAS NOT been approved by the Board of Trustees and will not take effect until it is Board approved. The Board is expected to vote on the proposal on Tuesday, May 2, 2023, at the regular Board meeting that begins at 5:30 p.m. in the Board room located at 621 South State Street.
For an in-depth look at the proposal, please click the links below to presentations from Superintendent Dr. Errick L. Greene.