- Johnson Elementary School
Food Programs Available to JPS Families During School Closures
March 17, 2020
|Jackson Public Schools ITV | March 17, 2020|
The health and well-being of our scholars is our top priority. We want to make sure our students have access to well-balanced meals during this time. In an effort to address this concern, Jackson Public Schools and its partner, the Mississippi Food Network, will begin serving meals and distributing food boxes this week.
Instructional packets for grades K-12 are available online and will also be distributed at the 12 feeding sites.
Grab-and-Go Breakfast and Lunch
Jackson Public Schools will serve grab-and-go breakfast and lunch meals during school closures. Children 18 years of age and under will be able to pick up breakfast and lunch at no cost. No ID is required. They do not have to be a JPS student. Adult meals are $2.50 for breakfast and $3.75 for lunch. Meals will be served from 9–11 a.m. Monday-Friday at the following locations:
- Boyd Elementary, 4531 Broadmeadow Street
- North Jackson Elementary, 650 James M. Davis Drive
- Spann Elementary, 1615 Brecon Drive
- Blackburn Middle, 1311 W. Pearl Street
- Galloway Elementary, 186 Idlewild Street
- Lake Elementary, 472 Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Raines Elementary, 156 N. Flag Chapel Road
- Smith Elementary, 3900 Parkway Avenue
- Marshall Elementary, 2909 Oak Forest Drive
- Peeples Middle, 2940 Belvedere Drive
- Whitten Middle, 210 Daniel Lake Boulevard
- Wilkins Elementary, 1970 Castle Hill Drive
The selection of these sites was based on their location and serviceability in areas throughout the city of Jackson.
In partnership with the Mississippi Food Network, Jackson Public Schools will distribute family food boxes with shelf-stable pantry items, and fresh and frozen foods. These boxes will provide a family of 4–5 with enough supplemental meals to last for several days. Contents include:
- 2) Green Beans 15 oz.
- (2) Corn 15 oz.
- Peanut Butter 18 oz.
- Grape Jelly 19 oz.
- Tuna 5 oz.
- Chunk Chicken 5 oz.
- Mandarin Oranges 10 oz.
- Applesauce 15 oz.
- Chicken Noodle Soup 11 oz.
- Tomato Soup 11 oz.
- Vegetable Beef Soup 15 oz.
- Dumplings/Chicken 13.5 oz.
- Vegetarian Chili 15 oz.
- Beef Ravioli 15 oz.
- Canned Pintos 15 oz.
- Milk 32 oz.
- Corn Flakes 18 oz.
- Misc. fresh and frozen food items
Pickup Times & Locations
- Saturday, March 21, 10 a.m.–12 p.m. | Peeples Middle, 2940 Belvedere Drive
Hot Dinner Meals Provided by JPS Partners
Jackson Public Schools and its partners, Eaton Aerospace and the Systems Companies, will provide a total of 3,000 hot dinner meals to JPS families to be distributed from 3-5 p.m. Thursday, March 26 and Friday, March 27 at the locations listed below.
- Bates Elementary/Cardozo Middle (3180 McDowell Road Ext.)
- Chastain Middle (4650 Manhattan Road)
- Galloway Elementary (186 Idlewild Street)
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Green Beans
- Dinner Roll
- Baked Chicken
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- California Vegetables
- Garlic Toast
City of Jackson Grab-and-Go Sites
The City of Jackson Department of Parks and Recreation in partnership with the YMCAs of Mississippi’s Feeding Program will provide free grab-and-go meals to children ages 18 and under during school closings. Other partners include the USDA and the Mississippi Department of Education Office of Child Nutrition.
Free grab-and-go lunches for children can be picked up from 12-1 p.m. at these locations:
- Clinton YMCA, 400 Lindale Street (Clinton)
- Soul City Church, 242 Whitfield Street
- Westside Park, 1450 Wiggins Road
- Battlefield Park, 953 Porter Street
- Vergy P. Middleton, 3971 Flag Chapel Road
- Grove Park, 4126 Parkway Avenue