Title I Pre-Kindergarten Program
The Jackson Public School District’s Pre-Kindergarten Program is a federally-funded, Title I program. There are 29 pre-kindergarten classes located in 21 elementary schools within the District. The maximum enrollment is 20 students per class.
The following JPS elementary schools have a Pre-Kindergarten Program:
- Baker Elementary
- Barr Elementary
- Clausell Elementary
- Dawson Elementary
- Galloway Elementary
- Green Elementary
- John Hopkins Elementary
- Johnson Elementary
- Key Elementary
- Lake Elementary
- Lee Elementary
- Marshall Elementary
- McWillie Elementary
- North Jackson Elementary
- Pecan Park Elementary
- Smith Elementary
- Timberlawn Elementary
- Van Winkle Elementary
- Walton Elementary
- Watkins Elementary
- Wilkins Elementary
The pre-kindergarten program shall expose children to a vocabulary-rich, nurturing environment where learning takes place through play. The curriculum provides the framework for students to be taught according to stages of child development and according to each child’s own individual needs. Teachers shall be highly knowledgeable about child development and the subjects and standards required to teach pre-kindergarten students.
The following goals have been established for pre-kindergarten students:
- Develop rich oral language and a robust vocabulary.
- Acquire knowledge of skills and concepts taught in each subject area.
- Develop social skills and emotional control.
- Transition smoothly through daily routines to learning centers and to other environments independently.
Frog Street Pre-K is a comprehensive, research-based program that integrates instruction across developmental domains and early learning disciplines. It is used to help prepare pre-K students for kindergarten in the areas of phonics, vocabulary, science, math, and social and emotional skills. The program is engaging for both teachers and children, is easy to implement, and it is aligned to the Mississippi Early Learning Standards.
Frog Street Program Features:
- Embraces a joy of learning.
- Provides an extensive integration of themes, disciplines, and domains and opportunities for differentiated instruction.
- Balances international instruction with child-centered learning.
- Offers a strong daily routine that develops social and emotional control.
- Incorporates social and emotional development with Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline®.
- Empowers children with choices in self-directed activities.
- Equity of English and Spanish materials and instruction.
- Honors the power of a strong teacher-child interaction to develop rich oral language and a robust vocabulary.
- Uses research-based principles of learning as the cornerstone of instruction.
Learn more about Frog Street Press and its early learning curriculum.
- The child must be four years old before September 1 of the attending school year.
- The child must be completely potty-trained.
- The child must be screened.
- Parents must complete a parent application at one site only.
The following items must be presented at the time of screening:
- A state ID or driver’s license.
- A certified birth certificate (long form).
- A Mississippi Immunization Compliance Form 121 (updated).
- Two proofs of residence within in the school zone the child will attend.
- Legal paperwork (i.e., adoption, court order, guardianship, etc.).
For more information, contact the Pre-K Office at (601) 960-4002.