The Adult Education program and GED Testing Center at Morrison will be closing permanently on May 30, 2019.
At JPS Adult Education and HSE Testing Center, we care about your future and encourage you to take the steps necessary to obtain your HSE credential.
The following opportunities are available at our center:
- FREE Adult Education classes to help you prepare for the tests (classes are for adults who are already proficient in the English language, but wish to improve their basic reading, writing, and math skills),
- Remediation and retesting in the subject area(s) not passed,
- Assistance with the testing cost for students enrolled in JPS’ Adult Education classes,
- Study materials are provided by the Adult Education Center,
- GED Testing.
JPS Adult Education Center, an innovative urban program committed to excellence, provides every client a quality educational opportunity with interdisciplinary partnerships with local businesses and the community. Our classes are designed to promote and enhance the skill levels and abilities of individuals preparing for the workforce or pursuing continuing educational endeavors.
Frequently Asked Questions about our program:
What classes are offered at JPS Adult Education?
- Mississippi Smart Start Class
- Employability skills plus a competency based national test (NCRC)
- Adult Education
- Academic classes to improve basic skills through GED®/HSE
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- For speakers of other languages to learn to speak, read and write English
- Beginning reading for English speakers
What are the requirements for enrollment?
- 17 or older may attend; 18 and under must bring proof of withdrawal from school
- A willingness to attend and learn
- Attend registration/orientation (3 day process) to be placed in a class
How long do the classes last?
- Classes are structured around a 3 hour block per day, up to 4 days a week, depending on location
- Because everyone enters at a different point in their education, students stay as long as needed to become prepared to pass the HSE tests
What is the GED® test?
- The GED®test is an alternative when a high school diploma is no longer an option. It is a national high school equivalency It tests knowledge and thinking skills equal to a high school diploma.
- 97% of colleges and employers accept the GED® credential
- The GED®test is made up of 4 subjects broken into separate exams. You don’t have to take all 4 tests at once - you can space them out however it suits you and go at your own pace
- The 4 subjects are Science, Social Studies, Mathematical Reasoning, and Reasoning through Language Arts
- The full battery (all 4 subjects) costs $120/each section is $30.
- For more information go to ged.com