The technology philosophy of the JPSD Office of Instructional Technology is based on a holistic approach where personalized, digital learning and technology skills are infused throughout every classroom, at every grade – for every student and every teacher. To this end, we provide support, resources and professional development to make this a reality.
What do we believe?
Technology integration is the use of computer technology, be it hardware, software, or peripherals to enhance teaching and learning. Technology integration is defined not by the amount or type of technology used, but by how and why it is used. In the integrated classroom, technology is simply a tool like a chalkboard or textbook whose effective and appropriate use makes teaching and learning better.
Technology integration in JPS is:
- students using technology to develop deeper meaning and understanding
- students learning to understand and value their own work by using the tools, materials, and resources that technology can provide
- students and teachers using technology to increase the novelty and variety of learning
- teachers using technology to make learning meaningful, engaging, rigorous and relevant
- teachers using technology to enhance and differentiate instruction and provide powerful learning opportunities for all students
- teachers using appropriate technology to provide students with opportunities to explore and research and to apply learning to real world context.
In a truly integrated instructional environment, teachers and students have the tools, skills, training, and knowledge to determine when and how technology should be used, and when the use of technology in the classroom is so pervasive, it is not even noticed. It is a part of the routine and practice of teaching and learning.
Central Office East
630 South State Street
Jackson, MS 39201
Phone: (601) 960-3020
Fax: (601) 960-8864
Erin Mason, Chief Innovation and Learning Officer
Dr. Kevin Gaylor, Facilitator
Interactive Learning, Professional Development, Student Engagement, Online Curriculum Specialist
Sylvia C. Leggette, Facilitator
Interactive Learning, Professional Development, Student Engagement, Data Management
Tashara Patrick, Specialist
Marathon, Renaissance, Interactive Technology, Project Management
Amber Spriggins, Specialist
Distance Learning and Recovery
Lache Sykes, Distance Learning Teacher