Our School History
Galloway Elementary was named in honor of Charles Betts Galloway, a Kosciusko native who graduated from Ole Miss in 1868. he received a Doctorate of Divinity degree in 1882. He served as pastor of several Methodist churches in Mississippi and was appointed a bishop at age 36. He raised $50,000 to match an equal amount offered by Major R.W. Millsaps to establish a college for young men in Jackson. He was made a lifetime president of the Board of Trustees of Millsaps College. At the time of his death, he was president of the board of Trustees of Vanderbilt University.
The original Galloway Elementary School building was constructed in 1912 and served our community well. In 1998, our old building was demolished and students joyfully began the fall semester in our new school. Our building has 75,510 square feet, with 24 classrooms, a science lab, and a computer lab.