Library Media Center Information
Kacy Hellings, Librarian
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
The Obama Magnet School library utilizes partially flexible scheduling. Classes are scheduled all day on Tuesday and Thursday. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, the library is available to be utilized by classes to extend classroom learning. The library is always open for students to check in and out materials.
Search the Obama Magnet Card Catalog. Remember you can log in using your JPS Google account and reserve a book, write a review, and create a favorites list!
If you have a book recommendation for our library, you may place a note in the box on my desk or fill out this electronic form.
- AR BookFinder - A resource to find out the reading level of a book.
- EasyBib - A resource to format information for a bibliography.
- Jackson-Hinds Library System - Use the online card catalog to find a book at the public library.
- JPS Teacher Resource Center
- MAGNOLIA Research Database - A wonderful resource for research and access to online periodicals.
- Mississippi Reading Fair Guidelines - All you need to know to prepare the best reading fair project.
- Renaissance Home Connect - Use this link to track your AR progress from home.
- World Book Online - This is a great research tool for all of your research needs! We are so thankful that JPS has purchased this for us to utilize. (f you need a username/password to access this site, please email me at the address above (click my name) or if you are student and don't have an email, create a Google Doc requesting the info and share it with me. I will respond to you that way.)
It's Scholastic Book Fair time again! Please CLICK HERE for more information.
Reading fair projects are due on October 9. Begin working on them now so it won't be too much to do on the weekend before. Be creative with your projects! Make them colorful and interesting. Feel free to have items on the table and have some 3D items on the board to add interest, but just be sure to not extend outside of the boundaries of the board. Feel free to email me with any questions. The link to the summer reading MDE page is above.
We are so proud of the 191 students who were counted as "Readers" for this year's summer reading count! This means that these students read the required book plus at least 2 others. Our students read a total of 3477 books this summer! We are so thankful that these students continued reading and writing over the summer so that they were able to come back to school prepared to work. Thank you parents for encouraging your children to continue reading and avoiding the summer slide. We had 25 parents send their reading list to the school and they read 243 books. Thank you for setting a good example of being lifelong readers. These totals will count toward our grand total for staff, students, and parents. The summer reading celebration for students who read and completed at least 20 reading logs was at the Mississippi Children's Museum. If you want to look back and see the details about summer reading, see the JPS Summer Reading Guidelines on the JPS page.