The mission of the Pre-Kindergarten program in Jackson Public Schools is to provide quality early childhood experiences based on principles of child development and understanding of how four-year-olds grow and learn.
Positive early learning experiences help to prepare young children for success in kindergarten and beyond. The JPS Pre-Kindergarten program emphasizes engaging learning experiences for four-year-old children.
The Pre-K education program is funded by Title I.
JPS developed its curriculum for fours based on the Mississippi State Framework for Four-Year-Olds. It also used supplemental materials provided by textbook publisher Scott Foreman.
Scott Foresman Reading Street (Language Arts) and Scott Foresman Pre-K Mathprograms:
- Emphasize developmentally appropriate practice,
- Support the child through sensory learning and discovery, and
- Emphasize foundational literacy and numeracy
The Mississippi Early Learning Guidelines for Four-Year-Old Children provides guidance about age appropriate practices that aid in the development of the whole child. Our supplemental curriculum provides a framework for teachers to plan learning experiences that draw on the needs and interests of children. The curriculum is designed to support the child through play and sensory learning. The curriculum considers the importance of learning in the early years. It is designed with the primary goal of reducing the number of children who enter Kindergarten without basic reading and math skills.
Students must be age four (4) before September 1, of the attending school year.
The following items must be presented at the time of registration:
- A Mississippi Immunization Compliance Form 121 (printout from the Hinds County Health Department)
- A certified birth certificate that must shows the parents’ names
- Student’s Social Security card
- Legal paperwork (i.e., adoption, court order, guardianship, etc.)
- Parents must complete and sign a Pre-Kindergarten application (at one site only).
- The parent must show proof of residence within in the school zone the child will attend
John Hopkins Elementary School
170 John Hopkins Road
Jackson, MS 39209
Enola Kelly, Teacher