The mission of the Pre-Kindergarten program in Jackson Public Schools is to provide quality early childhood experiences based on principles of child development and understanding of how four-year-olds grow and learn.
Positive early learning experiences help to prepare young children for success in kindergarten and beyond. The JPS Pre-Kindergarten program emphasizes engaging learning experiences for four-year-old children.
The Frog Street Pre-K program will be used to prepare JPS pre-K students to be grade-level proficient in phonics, vocabulary, science, math, and enhance their social and emotional skills before entering kindergarten. The research-based, child-centered program is aligned to Mississippi Early Learning Standards.
Frog Street Program Features:
- Embraces a joy of learning
- Provides comprehensive integrated instruction in all developmental domains.
- Balances international instruction with child-centered learning.
- Officers a strong daily routine that develops key social skills and emotional control.
- Empowers children with choices in self-directed activities.
- Honors the power of a strong teacher-child interaction to develop rich oral language and a robust vocabulary.
- Uses research-based principles of learning as the cornerstone of instruction.
Learn more about the Frog Street Press and its early learning curriculum.
Students must be age 4 before September 1 of the attending school year.
The following items must be presented at the time of registration:
- A Mississippi Immunization Compliance Form 121. (Printout from the Hinds County Health Department.)
- A certified Birth Certificate that must shows the parents' names
- Student's Social Security card.
- Legal paperwork (i.e., adoption, court order, guardianship, etc.)
- Parents must complete and sign a Pre-Kindergarten application (at one site only).
- The parent must show proof of residence within in the school zone the child will attend.
Pre-Kindergarten Registration Information for 2018-2019
2018-2019 PRE-KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION INFORMATION
The mission of the Pre-Kindergarten program in Jackson Public Schools is to provide quality early childhood experiences based on principles of child development and understanding of how four-year-olds grow and learn. Positive early learning experiences help to prepare young children for success in kindergarten and beyond. The JPS Pre-Kindergarten program emphasizes engaging learning experiences for four-year-old children. JPS developed its curriculum for fours based on the Mississippi State Framework for Four-Year-Olds. It also used supplemental materials provided by textbook publisher Scott Foresman. The Mississippi Early Learning Guidelines for Four-Year-Old Children provides guidance about age appropriate practices that aid in the development of the whole child. Our supplemental curriculum provides a framework for teachers to plan learning experiences that draw on the needs and interests of children. The curriculum is designed to support the child through play and sensory learning. The curriculum considers the importance of learning in the early years. It is designed with the primary goal of reducing the number of children who enter Kindergarten without basic reading and math skills. In addition, our Pre-K program adheres to common core state standards for Pre-K. North Jackson Elementary School houses two Pre-K classes with twenty students in each class, along with a teacher and an instructional assistant in each class. Students are selected to be admitted to the Pre-K program in March/April of each year through an application and screening process led by our Pre-K teachers. Screenings are held by appointment only and must be made with the Pre-K teachers. If you are interested in having your child screened for the Pre-K program at North Jackson, please contact the Pre-K teachers in early March to begin the application process.