The primary goal of the JPS Transportation Department is to transport students safely to and from school each day. The department is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all students while riding school buses and ensuring that the highest standards are adhered to by those who utilize JPS student transportation services.
Our department is one of the largest of its type in the state of Mississippi. It has frequently received commendations from the Mississippi Department of Education and has been cited as an exemplary school district Transportation department at annual Pupil Transportation conferences.
The JPS Transportation Department has approximately 350 employees serving as administrators, drivers, and mechanics. The department currently has a fleet of 246 buses and transports over 23,000 students each day. Our drivers cover about 1,863,290 miles each school year. They are the most highly trained drivers in the state.
The programs we implement in our daily routine include:
- Boundary Planning–Updating and maintaining information relating to boundaries and the city map.
- Routing System–Managing over 300 routes for the school district. Each year, the department sends bus cards to parents/guardians with students' bus information.
- Fleet Maintenance–Managing the entire district's fleet to ensure safety as well as economic efficiency.
- Field Trip Management–Managing field trip requests for the district.
- GPS–Assist management with daily tracking of buses and scheduling of bus routes.
Bus routes consist of triple and quadruple runs. We take pride in our safety record and putting Students First!
101 Dr. Dennis Holloway Drive
Jackson, MS 39203
Phone: (601) 960-8919
Stephanie Harris, Interim Executive Director
Mary Howard, Administrative Secretary
North: (601) 987-3587
South: (601) 960-5404
Maintenance: (601) 987-3604