New Student Documentation—Parents of new students must provide the following original documents when enrolling students for school:
- Certified copy of the student’s long form birth certificate.
- State of Mississippi Certificate of Immunization Compliance (Form 121) or Certificate of Medical Exemption (Form 122).
- Report card from student’s previous school.
- Transcripts for students entering 10th–12th grades.
- Two Proofs of Residency documents.
Proof of Residency—Parents or legal guardians may be asked to provide two proofs of residency to enroll students. The items must be in the name of the parent or legal guardian. See Proofs of Residency below.
Uniforms—JPS students in pre-K through eighth grade are required to wear uniforms. See the Student Uniforms page for details.
School Age—Kindergartners must be five years old on or before September 1. First graders must be six years old on or before September 1.
Immunization—Students must meet all Mississippi Department of Health requirements. Visit the Mississippi Department of Health's Immunization Requirements page.
In order to start the registration process, parents/legal guardians must make an initial visit to the school in their attendance zone to begin the online registration process. Parents/legal guardians will complete the online registration form using their ActiveParent account. If a parent/legal guardian does not have an active ActiveParent account, the school official will create one at the time of registration.
The adult completing registration must provide his/her current, valid state-issued photo identification to the school in order to register any student.
Please review the JPS Student Registration Procedures (PDF). This document explains the registration process and includes enrollment procedures for the following student groups:
- New students
- Returning students
- Pre-Kindergarten students
- Pre-School Exceptional Education students
- Advance Academic students
Proofs of Residency
The parent/legal guardian of a student seeking to enroll in a school shall provide the school district with at least two proofs of residency. The documents must be in the name of the adult enrolling the student. Examples of acceptable documents are included below. Only one document from each group will be accepted. See Section II of the JPS Student Registration Procedures (PDF) for details.
- Group 1 – Acceptable documents include mortgage documents or property deed; Apartment or home lease; Filed homestead exemption application form
- Group 2 – Acceptable documents include utility bills and cable bills dated within the last month (90 days) or utility deposit receipt or cable bill connection receipt. Cell phone bills cannot be accepted.
- Group 3 – Acceptable documents include automobile registration or automobile insurance; driver’s license; voter registration card; IRS documents from the most recent tax year, etc.
For more help getting started with registration, contact the Office of Enrollment Services at (601) 960-8852.
In-District Transfer Requests
In-District Transfer Requests will not be reviewed prior to the start of school. To request an In-District Transfer, the parent/legal guardian may complete an In-District Transfer Request Form at the time of registration, or the parent/legal guardian may complete the In-District Transfer Request Form (PDF) and submit it to the email address on the form. You may also follow the submission options below:
- Mail or deliver the Transfer Request Form to your child’s school.
- Mail or deliver the Transfer Request Form to the Office of Enrollment Services & Records, 1017 Robinson Street, Jackson, MS 39203.
Special Notation: To ensure that all In-District Transfer Requests are reviewed in a timely manner and to ensure that all students are able to start school on day one, the deadline for In-District Transfers is July 15, 2019.
District-to-District Transfer Requests
Submit your request for District-to-District transfers using the JPS District-to-District Transfer Request Form (PDF). Specific procedures for this process are included in the JPS Pupil Registration Procedures. If you have further questions regarding District-to-District transfers you may contact Enrollment Services at (601) 960-8852.
The JPS Student Registration Procedures (PDF) include information about sections covering Guardianship (Section III), Homeless Children (Section V), and Transfer Requests (Section VI).