Powell Military Academy is one of 10 middle schools in the Jackson Public School District. The school serves students in grades 6-8.
At Powell Middle School, we strive to develop a community of globally contributing citizens and life-long learners who are prepared for high school and beyond.
Powell Middle School, in partnership with parents and community, is committed to educate all students in a safe, rigorous, nurturing environment.
- We believe that all students will demonstrate academic and social progress in an environment that is conducive to learning.
- We believe that all students are diverse and capable of learning if we use differentiated instruction in the classroom.
- We believe that all students can and will excel academically if they are taught according to their learning styles.
- We believe that all teachers are equipped with the knowledge to reach every student.
- We believe that all students can learn when they are held accountable for their actions and work ethics.
- We believe that all students can learn through quality core instruction.
- We believe that all students can practice mannerly and safe behaviors when those behaviors are consistently modeled.
- We believe that open and on-going communication is one of the keys to success.
Powell Middle School was constructed in 1959. The school was originally named Sam M. Brinkley High School, but in 1966 the facility was converted to a junior high school and renamed Powell Junior High School after John Henry Powell (1876-1964). In 1971, the building was redesigned for a fifth and sixth-grade plaza. From 1975 to 1981, without modification to the building, the facility housed students in grades one through six. Beginning with the 1981-82 school year, the Powell facility was again modified to accommodate students in grades seven through nine.
Beginning with the 1991-92 school year, the facility was converted to a middle school and presently houses sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. The building is a two-story structure consisting of 115, 867 square feet and facilities include 55 teaching stations, auditorium, gymnasium, dressing rooms, lunchroom, library, two counseling stations, and administrative offices.