BECOMING A TEACHER IN JPS
There are four requirements to become a certified teacher.
- Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree – You must earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- The Mississippi Department of Education accepts degrees or coursework from any nationally or regionally accredited institution.
- MDE Teacher & Administration Preparation Acceptable Degrees or Coursework for Licensure.
- Complete an Educator Preparation Program – The candidate must complete an Approved Educator Preparation Program. If you do not hold a degree you must complete a university program. If you hold a degree, you may contact an Alternate Route Programs.
- Pass Praxis Core and Praxis II Exams – You must pass the appropriate teacher certification exams.
- Submit an application to the MDE Office of Educator Licensure – You must apply to be certified after all requirements are met.
Please note: All first-time applicants must submit an online application and be fingerprinted as a part of a national criminal background check.
Last Modified on January 10, 2019