Summer Reading Events
All events support the Summer Reading Program. For more information, contact the JPS Office of Teaching & Learning at (601) 960-8355 or the Jackson Hinds Library at (601) 968-5820.
This page will be updated as events are shared with Jackson Public Schools. Summer Reading program providers may submit a request to the Office of Public Engagement, (601) 960-8935.
JPS Partners In Education
Jackson Public Schools understands that community involvement is a vital component for successful schools. JPS Partners in Education is here to support families with access to the summer reading books and other educational resources. Among the resources and materials available to assist with summer reading for families and students are:
- Summer Bridge workbooks–Pre-K-8th grades.
- 180 Days workbooks–K-6th grades in reading, math, language arts, social studies, and geography.
- Subject-area workbooks and other novels–9th-12th grades.
- Hands-on manipulatives.
For more information and to arrange a day and time to pick up materials, contact Sylenia Anderson at (601) 960-8945.
Jackson Hinds Library System
JHLS is excited to announce the following:
- A new curbside pickup of library books with texting service at Welty, Willie Morris, Quisenberry, and Alexander libraries. Parents and children can place up to five books on hold on their online catalog system.
- The READsquared Online Summer Library Program will be debuting in June. It will run in conjunction with their Summer Reading Program, which runs from June 15th to July 31st. They will also be giving away Grab and Go bags for kids at branches that contain a fun craft, along with a story and activity sheets.
- The online resource TumbleBooks with e-books and e-audios for kids and teens, as well as, the new RBDigital Comic Book database are available. Also available is a new online registration option that gives families the option to register for a three-month library card online. When the parents are ready, they can come into the library to provide proof of address and get a real JHLS card.
For more information about the many resources available at the Jackson Hinds Libraries.
Boys and Girls Clubs
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Jackson are working with students this summer in the areas of reading and math. The clubs will have summer reading books available on-site to assist students in summer reading and completion of logs. There are still openings for students to attend the clubs, however, on a first come first serve basis. Attendance is free for a year for the first 15 students who register at the following locations:
- Capitol location (Lanier and Blackburn students). Call (601) 948-7211.
- Sykes location (Sykes, Forest Hill, Cardozo students). Call (601) 372-4111.
- Walker location (Siwell, Forest Hill, Cardozo students). Call (601) 372-9090.
Scholastic Summer Read-A-Palooza
Scholastic is committed to providing at-home learning over the summer months with Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza. The free program unites communities in a nationwide campaign that celebrates reading for fun while improving access to books during the summer. For 2020, they are excited to share a brand new kids' experience in Scholastic Home Base, a free digital destination that offers full books, live events, and games in a safe community for readers. Kids will be encouraged to track their reading streaks™ to earn rewards and unlock book donations, with the goal of donating 100,000 books by July.
BOOK IT! was created in 1984 and currently reaches more than 14 million students and 37,000 K-6 grade schools annually. Since then, the Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Program has been dedicated to encouraging reading in schools nationwide. BOOK IT! motivates children to read by rewarding their reading accomplishments with praise, recognition, and pizza. The program is simple, flexible, fun, and free to use at home or in the classroom. For more information, visit BOOK IT! for Parents.