Pathways to Teaching
Mississippi Educator License Requirements
A five (5)-year educator license is granted to applicants meeting all MS licensing requirements and completing a state approved or National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) or Council for the Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP) approved teacher education program from a regionally/nationally accredited institution of higher learning.
Licensure Requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Teacher Education with documentation of completion of student teaching from a state approved or NCATE/CAEP accredited program from a regionally/nationally accredited institution of higher education
- Twenty-one (21) ACT (or SAT equivalent) or achieve a qualifying passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators examination as established by the State Board of Education
- Passing scores on the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessment
- Praxis: Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)
- Foundations of Reading Assessment (for Elementary Education only)
The Board of Trustees believes in the dignity of all individuals and worth of their labors. The Board of Trustees is an equal opportunity employer. See JPS Policy (GAAF) for the full statement regarding equal opportunity employment
Join our Email List!
624 South. President Street
Jackson, MS 39201
P.O. Box 2338
Jackson, MS 39225
Have questions? We’re here to help!
Executive Director, Human Resources
Director, Human Resources
Dr. Tommy Nalls, Jr.
Manager of Teacher Support and Retention
Telephone: (601) 960-8745