Elementary Extended Summer Session
The Jackson Public School District will offer a tuition-free extended school for third-grade students who have not passed the Third Grade MAAP-LBPA (Literacy-Based Promotion Act). Enrollment will be limited. This program is designed to provide intense literacy instruction for students with these specific priority needs:
- Third-grade students who have not passed the Third Grade MAAP-LBPA.
- Third-grade students that passed the Third Grade MAAP in reading, but failed a course, such as reading, language arts, math, science, and/or social studies. Limited to two courses and the student must have a 65 or above in the courses failed. These students will only attend McWillie.
What are the sites for the Extended School?
- McWillie—Accepting eligible students from Boyd, Casey, Davis, Dawson, Galloway, Green, Johnson, North Jackson, McLeod, McWillie, Smith, Spann, Walton, and Watkins elementary schools.
- Key—Accepting eligible students from Bates, Key, Lester, Marshall, Oak Forest, Sykes, Timberlawn, Van Winkle and Wilkins elementary schools.
- Lake—Accepting eligible students Baker, Barr, Clausell, Isable, John Hopkins, Lake, Lee, Pecan Park, Raines elementary schools.
Who may attend the Elementary Extended Summer Session?
Third-grade students only.
How many third-grade students may attend extended school?
Enrollment is limited. First come, first served. Please submit your child’s application to his/her school by Monday, May 20, 2019.
How will students be selected to attend?
Priority will be given to third-grade students who have not passed the Third Grade Summative Reading Assessment.
When and where should eligible students register?
To register your child for extended school, complete the application and submit it to their child’s school office immediately. Blank applications can be obtained from your child's school.
How long will extended school last, and what are the hours?
Extended school lasts from June 3, 2019–June 28, 2019. Classes will be held from 8 a.m.–12 p.m. each day.
Can my child ride the bus to extended school?
Parents will drop off and pick up students. JPS WILL NOT provide Transportation.
Will lunch be provided during extended school?
Yes. Lunch will be provided at each site through the City of Jackson summer feeding program from June 3–June 28, 2019. Lunch will be served at each site from 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
What if my child is enrolled in Exceptional Education Services, can he/she attend?
Students with Exceptional Education Services who meet requirements as prescribed by the Mississippi Department of Education are eligible to attend. Contact the JPS Exceptional Education Department at (601) 960-8868 if you have questions.
What does the tuition cost?
There is no tuition fee/cost for students in the extended program.
Will there be afterschool care?
Tuition-Based afterschool care will be provided by Extended Learning Solutions. Contact Vickie Bradley-Eiland at (601) 360-2699 to obtain information about aftercare. If you do not enroll their child in aftercare, you must pick up their child at 12 p.m.
Will my child be promoted?
If your child failed any subject area (reading, English language arts, math, science and/or social studies) in the 2018-2019 school year, he/she will not be promoted. However, there will be a five-week program at McWillie that your child can attend for promotion. If your child misses 2 or more days from the five-week program, he/she will not be promoted.