Optimizing for Equity Overview
Jackson Public Schools approved a three-year plan for school redesign throughout the District, which will expand the District’s pre-kindergarten offerings, support the development of a world-class teaching and learning center, and generate cost savings that pave the way for long-term strategic investments. Implementation of the plan will begin in the 2020-2021 school year.
The school redesign plan, entitled Optimizing for Equity, builds upon the District’s five-year strategic action plan released in July 2019, which outlines five key commitments the District made to scholars and families that are guiding its decisions and actions. In addition, the District relied heavily on information gathered through its ongoing community engagement activities and data from a recent enrollment study conducted by Education Resource Strategies based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to inform the school redesign plan.
After releasing the plan on December 6, 2019, the District held community meetings to inform parents about the specific impact of the redesign plan on their scholar's school. The full school redesign plan was presented to the Board for consideration as information only at its regular board meeting on December 17. The Board unanimously approved the plan at its regular meeting held January 7, 2020.
- JPS Announces Plan to Redesign Schools in Support of 'Excellence for All', December 6, 2019
- Optimizing for Equity, JPS ITV, December 6, 2019
- Optimizing for Equity Board Presentation, JPS ITV, December 17, 2019
- The Case for Excellence for All JPS Scholars: Why We Must Consolidate Schools, January 7, 2020
- Board Approves Plan to Redesign Schools to Support 'Excellence for All', January 8, 2020