Operation of the Jackson Public Schools Child Nutrition program is administered through the United States Department of Agriculture, the Mississippi Department of Education and the JPS School Board. Comprehensive regulations must be followed in order for the school district to be eligible for federal funding. JPS receives millions of dollars each year to operate Child Nutrition. It is our goal to serve well-balanced, nutritious meals to all students, faculty and staff members.
Child Nutrition Facts
- JPS Child Nutrition employs over 390 employees in 55 facilities including three satellite facilities. Staff members include an executive director, three area supervisors and 55 on-site managers.
- 55 school sites participate in the National School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program
- Over 22,000 students eat school lunch each day.
- Over 12,000 students eat school breakfast each day.
- 30 schools offer snacks in the School Snack Program.
- Approximately 2 million breakfasts and 4.5 million lunches are served during the school year in JPS.
- Every JPS cafeteria operates a computerized point-of-service system to send daily data to the Finance Office.
- A Child Nutrition Warehouse supports the schools' daily food production.
- A state competitive food sales rule ensures that children are not in the position of having to decide between non-nutritious and nutritious foods before or during the meal service period.
- As a means of reducing plate waste, the "offer vs. serve" feature is employed to allow students to choose less than all of the food items in the meal pattern.
- JPS schools follow the USDA comprehensive meal pattern for breakfast, lunch, and snacks in order to be eligible for federal reimbursement.
- All school menus are created centrally and analyzed to meet the established USDA requirements and dietary guidelines.
Federally Funded Programs Operated by Child Nutrition
- National School Breakfast Program
- National School Lunch Program
- Breakfast in the Classroom
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
- Summer Food Service Program
- CACFP Supper Program
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.