PIE Highlight Awards Celebrate Progress Through Partnership
The Jackson Public Schools Office of Partners in Education recognized its community partners and contributors at the annual Highlight Awards Breakfast held February 23, 2017, at the Jackson Convention Complex. Themed "All Hands on Deck," the program honored the businesses, organizations, faith-based institutions, and individuals throughout the Greater Jackson area who have partnered with Jackson Public Schools with the goal of enhancing the educational experiences of our scholars.
Steven James of Allstate presented the Allstate Outstanding Partnership Award to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Tammy Dempsey, Director of Community Engagement and Service Learning, and Janet Harris, Professor of Nursing and Associate Dean, accepted the award.
|Steven James of Allstate, left, presented the Allstate Outstanding Partnership Award to Tammy Dempsey, and Janet Harris of UMMC.|
|Photo Gallery: 2017 PIE Highlight Awards|
The UMMC activities with JPS seek to address health needs comprehensively through prevention, education and direct services, such as school-based clinics, sports medicine services, and dental school services. Furthermore, UMMC's programs in JPS aim to increase diversity and inclusion of underrepresented groups in the health workforce by stimulating interest in students via career development and health academies as well as to support faculty in the sciences through professional development.
UMMC is celebrating 25 years as a partner with JPS through the Base Pair program. Its contributions include establishing health clinics in support of health academies at JPS high schools, and annual donations of flu-prevention supplies to the PIE store. Additionally, over 60 of their current staff and students provide weekly tutoring sessions to JPS first graders through the TutorMate program.
Anniversary Awards were presented in recognition of partnerships that have reached significant milestones. Presenters also recognized Campus Contacts and Adopter Coordinators for their commitment of time, ideas and other resources that drive successful partnerships.
"We could not do this work without you all," said Interim Superintendent and guest speaker Dr. Freddrick Murray. "To get things done, it takes everyone working together with all hands on deck moving the District forward."
The program included presentations from JPS School Board Secretary Camille Stutts Simms, Mayor Tony Yarber, Jackson Convention Complex General Manager Al Rojas, and Metro Chamber Partnership Vice President and PIE Board member Cynthia Buchanan Watkins. Rev. Charles Pepper, Youth Pastor at New Hope Baptist Church, delivered the invocation. Restaurateur Jeff Good, who served as the program's master of ceremonies, presented awards along with Partners in Education Director Thea Faulkner.
JPS students also contributed to the success of the Highlight Awards program. Career Development Center culinary arts students greeted guests and provided meal service for the breakfast. The Jim Hill High School Male Quartet performed a capella musical selections to the delight of attendees. The Provine High School JROTC carried out the Presentation of Colors and Northwest IB Middle School student Jadyn Anthony delivered the Pledge of Allegiance in English, French and Spanish.
Partners in Education connects schools with the community through several programs that contribute to the success of JPS schools. There are plenty of opportunities for interested organizations and individuals to contribute through giving, volunteering, and partnering with JPS schools. For information on partnering with Jackson Public Schools, please contact the Office of Partners in Education at (601) 960-8905.
2016-2017 Partnership Anniversary Awards
- Atmos Energy (Career Development Center)
- Entergy, Inc. (Wingfield High School)
- Fondren Presbyterian Church (George Elementary School)
- Merit Health (Peeples Middle School)
- St. Dominic Hospital (Hardy Middle School)
- Southern Farm Bureau Life Ins. Company (Watkins Elementary School)
- Sam's Club, Madison location (Northwest IB Middle School)
- BankPlus (Jim Hill High School)
- Trinity Presbyterian Church/Sons of the King (McLeod Elementary School)
- Farish Street Baptist Church (Rowan Middle School)
- National Council of Negro Women (Watkins Elementary School)
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Beta Alpha Chapter (Johnson Elementary School)
- Magnolia Federal Credit Union (Kirksey Middle School)
- New Horizons Church (Lee Elementary School)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Rho Lambda Omega Chapter (Oak Forest Elementary School)
- Home Depot, North Jackson (Watkins Elementary School)
- Allstate Insurance, Steven James Agency (Whitten Middle School)
- Walgreens, Terry Road (Whitten Middle School)
- Salvation Army (North Jackson Elementary School)
- Word of Life Church (Poindexter Elementary School)
- Partners in Education Highlight Awards, JPS ITV, March 6, 2017