Jackson Public Schools
Pupil Placement Office
662 South President Street • Jackson, Mississippi 39201
Phone: (601) 960-8852
E-mail: Pupil Placement
Registration Hours: 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
The JPS Pupil Placement Office is located at the JPS Central Office building at 662 S. President Street. Parking is available across the street from the downtown post office on President Street. This parking is convenient to the front entrance of the building where visitors can sign in and be directed to the Pupil Placement Office. Registration hours are from 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Proof of Residency
Parents or guardians must provide two (2) proofs of residency to register students for school. The items must be in the name of the parent or guardian. One item from the Group 1 list below is required.
- Homestead exemption application
- Mortgage deed
- Apartment lease
- Home lease
Current utility bills that may be used as proofs of residency include:
- Home phone bill (Cellular phone bills will not be accepted.)
- Water/sewer bill
- Gas bill
- Electric/light bill
- Cable bill
- Automobile registration/current insurance/current tag information
- Driver's license
- Voter registration card
- DHS benefits documents for Food Stamps, Medicaid, TANF, CHIPS, or Child Care Certificates
- IRS documents from the most recent tax year
- Letter of employment (Check stubs will not be accepted.)
- Sworn affidavit of residency and/or personal visit by a designated school district official
- Any other documentation that will objectively and unequivocally establishes residency
- Certified copy of filed petition for guardianship if pending, and final decree when granted
Students new to JPS must register in the Office of Pupil Placement. This includes students who are:
- New kindergarten and first-time first grade students (See School Age requirement below.)
- New students from public and private schools in Mississippi
- New students from out-of-state schools
- New English as a Second Language students
Parents enrolling students who are new to JPS must provide:
- Certified copy of the student's long form birth certificate
- Certificate of Immunization issued by the state of Mississippi on Form 121 or Medical Exemption Certificate (See Immunization requirement below.)
- Completed Enrollment Form
- Transcripts for students entering grades 10-12
- Social Security Card
Pre-Kindergarten students must complete an application and screening process. Applications must be completed at the school located within the school zone of their parents' or guardians' residence.
Registration for returning JPS students takes place at the students' school. Parents of students entering 6th or 9th grade should register them at the schools where the records are sent. Contact the student's current school for this information.
New in-district transfer requests must be submitted to the principal of the destination school. These transfers will be approved based on available space.
Returning transfer students register at their school.
District-to-district transfer requests must be submitted to the Office of Pupil Placement. These transfer requests are not final until they have been approved by the JPS School Board.
Transfer requests for students accepted into magnet schools and special programs must be submitted to the Office of Advanced Academics.
Change in Legal Status
Students with a change in legal status or who enroll in any of the categories below must register at the Office of Pupil Placement.
- Group home
- Foster placement
- Court ordered custody
Uniforms—Students in pre-K through eighth grade are required to wear uniforms.
School Age—Kindergartners must be five (5) years old on or before September 1st. First graders must be six (6) years old on or before September 1st.
Immunization—Students must meet all Mississippi Department of Health requirements.
For more information, please contact the Office of Pupil Placement at (601) 960-8852.