Jackson Public Schools
Pupil Placement Office
662 South President Street • Jackson, Mississippi 39201
Phone: (601) 960-8852
Email: Pupil Placement
The JPS Pupil Placement Office moved to the 662 S. President Street building. Parking for JPS visitors is available across the street from the downtown post office on President Street. This parking is convenient to the front entrance of the central office building where visitors can sign in and be directed to the Pupil Placement Office.
The office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and operates year-round.
Some students may be registered at a JPS school without a visit to the Pupil Placement Office. Follow the guidelines below to determine if your child should be registered at a school or the Pupil Placement Office.
All students who are new to JPS schools, unless they are from out-of-state, may register at the school they will be attending.
JPS schools will handle registration for:
- All Kindergarten and first-time first grade students (See School Age requirement below.)
- All students new to JPS from public and private schools in Mississippi
- Students whose residences changed within the City of Jackson during the summer or during the school year
The Pupil Placement Office will handle the following:
- Requests for transfers from one school to another or from another school district to JPS, where there has not been a change of residency
- Requests involving children in foster homes, group homes, and shelters or children involved in custody cases
- Requests involving returning students with a change in legal status such as adoption, guardianship, foster care (must bring legal documentation)
- Enrollment of students from out-of-state except kindergartners and first-time first graders who may enroll at the school they will be attending
- Enrollment of students requesting English Language Learner services
Required Registration Documentation for New Students
Student Information Required:
- Certified Birth Certificate (must show name of parent/s)
- Mississippi Immunization 121 Compliance Form (See Immunization requirement below.)
- Student's Social Security Card
- Withdrawal Form From Previous School
- Student(s) Last Report Card
Parent Information Required:
- Legal paperwork including adoption, court order, guardianship, etc.
- Two Proofs of Residency (must be in parents' or legal guardian's name)
Proofs of residency may be any two (2) of the following items:
- Current utility bill (for example, telephone, water, gas, light, cable)
- Homestead exemption/mortgage deed, apartment or home lease
- Automobile registration/current insurance/current tag information
- Paper work from DHS concerning Food Stamps, Medicaid, TANF, CHIPS, or Child Care Certificates
- Letter of employment (no check stubs)
- Recent tax papers
- Paper work for unemployment, disability or social security income
Uniforms—Students in Pre-K through eight grade are required to wear uniforms.
School Age—Kindergartners must be five (5) years old on or before September 1st; First graders must be six (6) years old on or before September 1st.
Immunization—Students must meet all Mississippi Department of Health requirements. Beginning with school year 2012-13, all seventh graders must have a recent Tdap vaccination. Two additional requirements for childhood immunizations became effective in August 2007.
For more information, please contact the Office of Pupil Placement at (601) 960-8852 or fax (601) 973-8541.