|Archive photo of Partners in Education Store volunteer
Jackson Public Schools' Partners in Education Office announced that it will re-open the P.I.E. Store for teachers in 2012-2013. The store had been closed after the office relocated in 2009. Thanks to donations from across the community, the store will be stocked with art supplies, instructional materials, and items for classrooms and offices. All of the merchandise at the P.I.E. Store is available to teachers for free.
"This year, the store hopes to maintain a crisis closet with uniforms and personal items, especially for students who experience an emergency, such as a house fire," said Partners in Education Director Rebecca Starling.
The location of the store will be the former Bradley School, located at 1601 Ivanhoe Street, just off Medgar Evers Boulevard.
Supplies are being donated by Office Depot, WLBT, Raising Canes, and the United Way through the Stuff the Bus campaign. Johnson Controls has also donated inventory for the store. Any individual or business intersted in donating items to the store may consider the following:
- Stickers, small tokens, magnets, bookmarks, key rings, small toys
- Storage containers of all kinds
- Cork boards and push pins, dry erase boards and dry erase markers
- Project display boards
- Pens, pencils, highlighters, markers
- Notebooks, notebook paper, copy paper, construction paper, pads, sticky notes, index cards
- Hole punchers and calculators
- Binders, folders, dividers
- Tissues, wipes, zip-closure bags
Currently, Partners in Education is also accepting volunteers to help stock shelves, pick up supplies, and assist teachers during store hours. To donate or to volunteer, contact Partners in Education at 601-960-8905.