Almost half of the 1,313 students participating in the Region II Science Fair were from Jackson Public Schools. On the elementary level, our students brought home nine special awards and 44 category awards. On the secondary level, JPS students received 36 special awards and 70 category awards. Thirty-two JPS middle and high school students advanced to the State Fair where six students took 1st, 2nd, or 3rd places. They were:
- Kelly Hill, Jim Hill High – 1st place, Class 5-Zoology
- Justin Porter, Murrah High – 1st place, Class 5-Medicine & Health
- James Davis, Bailey Magnet High – 2nd place, Class 4-Engineering, Computers & Math
- Austin Davis, Jim Hill High – 2nd place, Class 5-Botany
- Alexis Sanders, Jim Hill High – 2nd place, Class 5-Biochemistry
- Kristen Hudson, Forest Hill High – 3rd place, Class 5-Engineering, Computers & Math
- James Gill, Murrah High – 3rd place, Class 5-Medicine & Health
Two JPS students advanced to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, May 13-18. Justin Porter, a Murrah High senior, who won Best of Fair, will represent Region II of the state of Mississippi at the International Fair. He will travel to Pennsylvania with all expenses paid by the Mississippi Science Fair program. He will compete with other students from 47 countries and the United States for more than $4.3 million in cash, prizes, and scholarships. Christiana James, an 11th grade student at Jim Hill, placed fourth overall in the Region II Fair and will attend the International Fair as an observer.
PDF Link: Region II Mississippi Science & Engineering Fair Winners from JPS
Correction 04-17-2012: Alexis Sanders of Jim Hill was originally left off of the list of State Winners above. She placed 2nd in the Class 5-Biochemistry category.