Facilities and Operations
Facilities and Operations Opstats | CapStats
101 Near Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39203
The goal of the Jackson Public School District's Facilities and Operations department is to ensure safe schools and protect the health and safety of all students through upgrading schools and improving school facilities. JPSD Facilities and Operations inspects and maintains facilities, provides an on-going maintenance program to upgrade schools, and improves facilities maintenance.
The Facilities and Operations department is composed of Architectural Services, Construction, Carpentry, Climate Control, Custodial Services, Electrical, Electronics, Environmental, Preventive Maintenance, Plumbing, and Site Care. The administrative staff includes an executive director, 2 directors of construction, a director of maintenance, environmental coordinator, administrative secretary, and purchasing/accounts payable staff, and a data entry operator/dispatcher. 235 custodians and 101 trade technicians round out the departments' staff.
Facilities and Operations Facts
- Provides supporting role to all departments for the education of all students
- Maintains approximately 5 million square feet of floor space, approximately 1,800 acres, 110 buildings, and 247 portable classrooms
- Communicates with schools and administrative facilities for service through Job Ticket system
- Processes approximately 23,000 Job Ticket requests per year
- Manages building improvements through capitol improvement projects and renovations/additions completed by in-house staff
- Serves as project inspectors and managers for all building projects until completed
- Administers use of facilities and fields
- Assists in design of new facilities
- Works with state and federal agencies to ensure compliance with all environmental regulations
- Maintains and updates a five year plan of facilities' needs by site
- Prepares plans and specifications on in-house projects
Facilities and Operations Services
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Architectural Service
- Maintains blue prints for all facilities and building components and provides in-house specifications, drawings for in-house projects, and portable relocation.
- Repairs glass, roofs, walls, floor covering, plaster, painting, blinds, locks, doors, ceilings, and renovates and constructs new offices.
- Climate Control
- Maintains energy management system. Installs, maintains, and repairs air conditioners, heating systems, air compressors, and boilers.
- Custodial Services
- Maintains cleanliness of facilities, performs small maintenance such as changing lighting lamps and ceiling tile, moves boxes and furniture, and refinishes stage floors.
- Coordinates the design of new facilities and/or addition to facilities, and major renovations.
- Repairs equipment, stage and auditorium lighting, gymnasium and athletic field lighting, scoreboards, security lighting, and custodial equipment.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs master clocks, bell systems, fire alarms, intercoms, public address systems, computers, televisions, VCRs, cassette players, projectors, phones, and cable wiring.
- Coordinates the removal of chemicals in facilities, oversees asbestos and indoor air quality program, and provides safety/environmental staff development.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs welding, water pipes, sewage system and grease traps.
- Preventive Maintenance
- Installs, maintains, and repairs fire extinguishers. Changes filters for heating and cooling equipment. Repairs generators, refrigeration, water coolers, ice machines, and kitchen equipment.
- Site Care
- Cuts grass, shrubs, trees, fences. Installs and moves playground equipment. Repairs asphalt. Maintains athletic fields, signage, erosion control, and parking lot striping.