JPS School Attendance Counselors
JPS Attendance Office
1224 Eminence Row
Jackson, MS 39213
Calvin Day, 601-973-8660
Ida Clincy, 601-960-2602
Cecil Wright, 601-973-8661
JPS School Attendance Counselors are available to:
- answer questions concerning Mississippi's Compulsory School Attendance Law;
- assist parent's, school and community in assuring regular school attendance for all school age children;
- investigate non-attendance and unlawful absences;
- counsel children and parents concerning school attendance;
- provide certificates of enrollment for home instructions;
- speak to community groups and civic organizations;
- speak to schools and individual classrooms;
- coordinate with other community agencies; and
- help provide alternative programs to at-risk students.
If you are a parent or guardian of a child and need help enrolling them in school, need to report a child not attending school, or want to help improve school attendance in your community, contact JPS School Attendance Counselors at (601) 973-8660.
Compulsory School Attendance Law
Mississippi law requires regular school attendance for every child who has reached the age of six (6) on or before September 1 of the current calendar year and has not reached the age of seventeen (17) on or before September
1 of the current calendar year. Parents are held accountable for their child's school attendance.