One of the best ways that parents can become involved in their child's school in Jackson is through the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) or the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA).
The mission of the PTA/PTSA is threefold:
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children;
- To assist parents in developing skills they need to raise and protect their children; and
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
Every school in Jackson has an active PTA/PTSA that is a member of the Jackson Council PTA/PTSA. The mission of the Jackson Council is to encourage the local units to strengthen the bond among the school, home, and community. This is accomplished by helping parents become involved in the activities of the school and the educational experiences of their children. The council also seeks to assist local units become effective resources at their schools in encouraging and recognizing academic excellence.
Jackson Council PTA Board Members
- Rosaline McCoy, President
- Attorney Paheadra Robinson, VP of Membership
- Shella Wesley, VP of Elementary Schools
- Cassio Batteast, VP of Middle Schools
- Cassandra Welchlin, VP of High Schools
- Senator David Blount, VP of Legislation
- Dr. Rosella Houston, Treasurer and Audit Committee Chairperson
- Sharron Crump, Nominating Committee Chairperson
- Tina McBride, Secretary
- Annita Bonner, Parliamentarian
- Michael Gater, Chaplain
- Patricia Woods, President Emeritus
Entries below will be revised closer to the date of an event.
Fall School of Instruction
Principals to Presidents Meeting
Salute to Scholars
Jackson Council PTA/PTSA
P.O. Box 1145, Jackson, MS 39202
E-mail Jackson Council PTA
For more information about the PTA, visit the national PTA web site.
For more information about the Jackson Council PTA/PTSA or the PTA at your school, visit the JCPTA's Facebook Group.